Animals & Authors with Marianne Evans

12 Sep

Writing – they say – is a solitary occupation. But is it? Really? Let’s chat with author Marianne Evans about her fur babies.

QPQ: Introduce us to your pets.

M.E.: I’d love for you to meet my fur-babies. First is Angel. He looks like a little black panther and is the elder statesman of our feline brood at sixteen.  Next are Darko and Tyler. Darko and Tyler are nine-year-old brothers.

authorsandpets1QPQ: What beautiful felines! Since you’re an author and you come up with names all the time, how did you come up with your pets’ names?

M.E.: A quirky set of circumstances led to each of their names (I seldom do ‘normal’). I’ll start with Angel. We had recently said good-bye to our 18 year-old kitty, Sushi and we knew right away we wanted to adopt another cat from the local rescue shelter. We came upon Angel who was six-months-old at the time and on our way out of the shelter parking lot, we turned left behind a pickup truck bearing a blue and silver bumper sticker that read, simply, Angel. That sealed our new family member’s name at once. Next came Darko and Tyler. Darko and Tyler came into our lives as the result of a phone call from our daughter who came upon a litter of six-week-old kittens and only Tyler and Darko were left. She did a great sales job and we ended up taking them in, and our daughter is the one who named them. They’re sort of half hers and half ours…

QPQ: How do your pets help you in your writing?

M.E.: All three of my cats are cuddle-cats. They love to hang out near my feet, or on my desk, or on my lap, or sprawled across my computer keyboard…  They keep me company and I enjoy their presence. Something about having them around is soothing. They’re more of a distraction than a help when it comes to my writing, but I don’t mind the occasional distraction when it involves silky fur and a low, rolling purr of happiness.

QPQ: Have you ever written one of your pets into a story?

M.E.: Not by name, but definitely by personality. My novella, Maeve’s Symphony (Book 4 of my Sisters in Spirit series) begins with Maeve returning home to her condo in upstate New York following a voyage to Ireland for her best friend’s wedding. She walks in the door and peeling around the corner, legs pumping at 90-miles-per-hour, charges her calico cat, Coco Chanel. The cat’s daily antics while Maeve was away were chronicled by her pet sitter in the form of a diary, complete with sketches which the sitter leaves behind for Maeve’s entertainment. We’ve had a pet sitter do this for us while my husband and I were on vacation – it was such a charming way to come home, and the full-bore greeting as a cat peels around a corner and skitters across a tile floor is something we love to see when we come home.

QPQ: Tell us what you have in common with your pets. authorsandpets2

M.E.: I love a good cuddle…. I love to be waited on… I love to deliver a disdainful look of reproach when my needs aren’t met with swift and complete execution…

All kidding aside, like any other fur-baby  I love knowing I’m cared for and loved – don’t you? My kitties give me love, and I give it right back. Pets are the best!!

QPQ: Thank you for visiting here at the Quid Pro Quills. Where on the web can readers connect with you and your books?

M.E.: I love to connect to readers, so if you’re interested, please visit me at the following cyber-spots:

Website: www.marianneevans.com

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/marianneevansauthor/

Twitter: https://twitter.com/MarEvansAuthor

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/marevansauthor/

Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/marevansauthor/

Blog: www.marianneevans.blogspot.com

I’m such a fan of Quid Pro Quills! Y’all have exceptional talent, and heart, so I’m honored to be here! Thanks for hosting me!

~Candice Sue Patterson

Posted by on September 12, 2016 in Writing

8 responses to “Animals & Authors with Marianne Evans

September 12, 2016 at 10:07 am

What cuties! Thanks for sharing them with us today.

2. Marianne Evans

September 12, 2016 at 10:50 am

I’ve loved the visit, Robin – thanks!! Hubby and I have a saying when it comes to our kitties, ‘It’s their house, we just pay the mortgage…” LOL! Blessings on your day, my friend!

3. Ann Ellison

September 12, 2016 at 11:40 am

Enjoyed reading about your cats. They are cuties. I have two cats Avalanche and Luna that I adopted from my vet’s office that had been abandoned. They aren’t siblings, but they were abandoned there about the same time when they were just kittens and had been kept together until I got them. I really only intended to get one cat, but when I saw them both together they were so cute together I couldn’t separate them. I have had them for two years now and I am so glad that I didn’t separate them.

4. Tanya Hanson

September 12, 2016 at 12:46 pm

Aw, love me those kitties, Mariannne! I know how much those cuddle muffins inspire you. When we lost the last of our three Labs–absolutely shattering–we decided to wait on a new critter. So I volunteer at the horse rescue for my animal-sugar. I’ve had some of my guys trot into my stories for sure! love you…

• Marianne Evans

September 12, 2016 at 3:53 pm

Tanya, thanks so much for the visit! ::hugs!:: Yes, you and I have much in common when it comes to loving our animal friends! I so admire the work you do for those gorgeous horses! Your pix of them are always so beautiful!! And about those stories they’ve trotted into…why, I do believe I’ve read one or two of those…!! 😀 ❤ Be blessed, my friend!!!!!

5. Marianne Evans

September 12, 2016 at 12:49 pm

Oh, Ann, that is *awesome!* I love your fur-baby ‘love’ story! We went through a similar dilemma when we adopted Darko and Tyler. We couldn’t bear to separate them. When we had them neutered, they had to be housed in separate cages after surgery so they wouldn’t risk coming alert from anesthesia and start playing together and risk tearing stitches, etc. When we picked them up, we were told they extended their paws between their neighboring cages and basically ‘held hands’ during recovery. Melted. My. Heart. 🙂 They know they’re related. 🙂

September 12, 2016 at 2:05 pm

We love our four-footed friends! Glad you meet yours, Marianne. 🙂

7. Marianne Evans

September 12, 2016 at 3:55 pm

Hi, Pegg! Yes, the fur friends/fur family, whatever you want to call them, pad straight into our hearts and reside there forever. 🙂 Thanks for letting me be part of the fun here at QPQ!!!