Going for Gold

12 Aug

photo1Have you been watching the Olympics? I have, and I’m a nervous wreck. I feel like the parents who sit in the stands, shrinking back when their children perform actions that could change their lives, for better or worse–because they can. I hate to see the athletes get injured, but I love to see them win medals.

I also enjoy the camaraderie between Olympic team members. Whether a team member performs well or poorly, other members of her team encourage her with kind words, high fives, fist-bumps, or a hug. That’s amazing in itself. Most times if a gal makes a mistake, people will crush her with unkind words or actions. For more about that, check out Robin Patchen’s post from Wednesday.

When athletes win gold, their reactions are intriguing. Some throw their hands in the air and shout. Some laugh and hug their competitors. Some beat their puffed-out chests and wave their arms up and down to garner more applause from the audience. A few winners simply look up.

It takes supreme effort to train for the Olympics, but it takes supernatural intervention to remain humble amid fame and success.

There’s a funny meme going around that shows the difference between dogs and cats. It basically says if a man feeds a dog, the dog thinks Hey, that guy’s feeding me. He must be God! If you feed a cat, the cat thinks Hey, that guy’s feeding me. I must be God!

Sometimes that’s how we respond. When we achieve something, we think we did it in our own strength when we’re only dust. We forget that it’s because of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed. I hope, if the Lord ever allows me to achieve any status in this world, that I’ll respond in humility, realizing from where my success came. I pray the theme of my life will ever be Soli Deo Gloria – to God’s glory alone. 1 Corinthians 9:24-25 says, “Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but only one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may win. Everyone who competes in the games exercises self-control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable.”

In this race of life, I’m going for gold. Sometimes I stumble, but I must remember there’s an imperishable prize ahead. Christian, keep your eye on the prize!

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

6 responses to “Going for Gold

1. kararhunt

August 12, 2016 at 7:12 am

What a great way to share the story of the real race we all run. Great post, Jericha. Thanks for sharing!

• jerichakingston

August 12, 2016 at 7:50 am

You’re so welcome, Kara! Run well today!

August 12, 2016 at 8:35 am

I loved Aly Raisman’s reaction last night after her stellar performance on floor. She finished her routine, then immediately started to cry. She’d done something amazing, but I can’t help but believe she knew she hadn’t done it all by herself. It was beautiful and humble. And then to see Aly so close to Simone Biles as they awaited the final results–to see them embrace even though one got gold and the other silver. It was touching, their friendship that overshadowed any rivalry. I love to see the athletes do it well.

Would that we could all be so humble.

August 12, 2016 at 8:38 am

I don’t watch the Summer Olympics. Nothing against them, but I love the Winter Olympics! The same type of thing, just with a lot more clothing on. 🙂

• jerichakingston

August 12, 2016 at 8:42 am

I hear you, Pegg. 🙂

August 12, 2016 at 8:40 am

So true, Robin. Don’t forget Simone Manuel’s face when she saw that she’d won gold… and again when she received her medal… priceless.