The Battle of Self Control

20 Jul

“I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the place of slavery. Do not have other gods besides Me.” Exodus 20:2-3 (HCSB)

salad-791891_640

I’ve never been a big vegetable person. Give me meat, potatoes, something salty, and a piece of chocolate and I’m a happy gal. In fact my husband jokingly has called me, “Junk food Jodie.” Ouch.

A few months ago God started pricking my conscience about the need to exercise and the foods I eat. In other words what I put into my temple and how I treat this housing of the Holy Spirit. 1 Corinthians 6: 19-20 says, Don’t you know that your body is a sanctuary of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought at a price. Therefore glorify God in your body.”

I started walking regularly. In fact, I’m walking at least 45 minutes, six days a week, and 35 minutes on Sunday. It’s pleasurable for me, since that is my time to get away from everything and focus on God.

But food has been another matter. I knew it would take something drastic to get me to change my poor eating habits. So I started on The Hormone Reset Diet by Dr. Sara Gottfried. It’s a 21-day reset of the way you eat and what you eat. While I’m only on day nine, I’ve already noticed changes in my body. Losing a few pounds has been beneficial as well.

Through the process God has been showing me the importance of having no other god before Him alone. I can honestly say that food had become a god of sorts. I’m working at breaking that bond and move into the freedom I have in Christ.

Do you have something that keeps you in bondage? How can I be praying for you?

Social Media 2015

Jodie Wolfe loves to stroll through history with the characters she creates. When not writing she enjoys spending time with her husband, reading and walking.

Tags: ,

8 responses to “The Battle of Self Control

July 20, 2016 at 8:06 am

I must admit, food is a big hinderance for me as well. Glad to hear you’ve found something that works for you. 😊

• Jodie

July 20, 2016 at 9:33 am

I think food is an issue with many women. Praying for wisdom with eating beyond these 21 days. 🙂

July 20, 2016 at 8:16 am

Food has always been a struggle for me, too, Jodie. I’m eager to hear how the rest of that 21-day diet goes!

• Jodie

July 20, 2016 at 9:33 am

I can relate, Robin. I’ll let you know how things go. 🙂

July 20, 2016 at 9:03 am

Thank you for your transparency, Jodie. I’ve battled this as well. I just finished a nutrition class that was extremely beneficial to me and my husband. We’re making wiser choices now, and they’ve been tasty and enjoyable. I love summer fruits and veggies! Every time I cut them open, I see their seeds and remember God’s faithfulness to provide for each generation.

• Jodie

July 20, 2016 at 9:34 am

Sounds like you’ve made some great changes, Jericha. Let me know how it goes.

Love the analogy with the seeds. 🙂

July 20, 2016 at 1:43 pm

I love food. All of it. Well … not coconuts … but most of it. Glad you’ve found something that’s making a difference for you. Keep us updated. It might be something I’ll try.

• Jodie