Living Beyond Fear

11 May

SeaWorld

My husband and I recently returned home from vacation in Florida. Here’s one of the fun pictures I took at Sea World. But believe me, a good portion of the trip wasn’t so much fun.

Our second day into the drive down, my husband got violently ill. I suspected food poisoning, but I wasn’t sure. We have the kind of phones where it costs to go online, so I couldn’t research anything. The hotel provided internet, but I wasn’t able to actually get it to work.

Poor hubby spent a good portion of the night in the bathroom. At first fear gripped my heart. By then we had made it to South Carolina, and I had no idea where anything was. I suspected we should go to the hospital when his fever rose and he became delirious. He said he’d be fine.

My mind whirled. What if it’s a stomach bug and I catch it too? All I could picture was the two of us sick in a hotel room. What a way to spend a vacation.

But then…God’s peace settled on my heart. I knew that whatever we faced I could trust Him. While this particular verse didn’t come to mind then, it is one of my favorites.

So do not fear, for I am with you;
    do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you;
    I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. (Isaiah 41:10 – NIV)

Whatever our circumstances, we can choose to throw off fear and walk in God’s peace. That’s what I chose to do that night. In fact, I fell asleep and slept through the night, resting in that peace.

How about you? What do you do when gripped with fear? How has the Lord provided for you?

-Jodie Wolfe

Posted by on May 11, 2016 in Writing

6 responses to “Living Beyond Fear

May 11, 2016 at 7:25 am

Good reminder! When faced with fear, I like to crawl into the Father’s lap and rest there. It isn’t easy for me to get to that place – I have a lot of personal stubbornness to overcome every time – but it’s the best place to be. I’m glad you were able to enjoy at least some of your vacation!

Liked by 2 people

• Jodie

May 11, 2016 at 8:57 am

I know what you mean, Pegg. Sometimes we want to try and solve things ourselves instead of crawling into the Father’s lap.

May 11, 2016 at 7:54 am

Jodie, when I’m fearful, I either start praying or singing. Either way, the enemy hates it, so win-win. Might not change the circumstances, but it certainly changes ME, and my focus as well.

• Jodie

May 11, 2016 at 8:56 am

What a great way to fight fear, Jericha.

May 11, 2016 at 12:03 pm

Those little fears that bite like mosquitoes, I just hand over to God right there. Quick prayers that remind me of his sovereignty that often sound like, “please don’t let that happen” or “protect us from that.” I usually don’t even define “that,” because he knows what I’m talking about. When the big ones come, I turn to Scriptures, reciting from memory my favorites or, if none of those apply, searching until I find one that does. God is so good to alleviate my fears–when I trust him with them.

Great post, Jodie.