Pickled!

22 Apr

While some of us have barely tasted spring, summer is just around the corner, and with it comes fresh vegetables.

I live in southeast Georgia–where it’s hot ten months of the year–and I’m always on the lookout for recipes with fresh veggies. If you’d like to perk up your standard summer vegetables, consider pickling them!

Pickled veggies are so refreshing, and perfectly compliment fish or grilled chicken. The only downfall? Pickled veggies need to be refrigerated for three days, to soak up all the wonderful flavor. Also, the veggies must be fresh. You can’t use frozen.

Think it’s too labor-intensive? Think again. If you have a refrigerator, a glass jar with a lid, fresh vegetables, some vinegar, and salt, you’re set. Prefer sweet instead? No problem! Just add a teaspoon of sugar.

Like the idea? Then try some of these!

Pick two fresh veggies:

• cucumber (cut into spears)
  • carrots (sliced thin, on an angle)
  • corn (sliced off the cob)
  • grape tomatoes (halved)
  • whole green beans
  • thinly-sliced red onion
  • sliced radishes
  • sliced summer squash
  • thinly-sliced green cabbage
  • cauliflower florets
  • red or yellow bell pepper slices
  • snow peas
  • young okra

Pick a flavor:

• American: Dill seed, mustard seed, celery seed, and black peppercorns.
  • European: 2 cloves of smashed garlic, 2 sprigs of fresh oregano, sliced lemon peel, and black peppercorns.
  • Asian: 1/2 teaspoon of peeled, julienne-cut ginger, sliced orange peel, green onion slices.
  • *Whichever flavor you choose, a tablespoon is all you need per jar!*

Pick one:

• Distilled white vinegar
  • apple cider vinegar
  • red or white wine vinegar

Method: Wash and slice your vegetable choices and place them in a clean, 1 lb. glass jar. Add a tablespoon of your flavor choice. Fill the jar HALF-FULL of your vinegar choice, and add one teaspoon of salt. Fill the rest of the jar with water. If you want sweet pickled vegetables, add one teaspoon of sugar. Seal the jar, shake well, and place in the refrigerator for three days. Pickled veggies will keep for two weeks.

My favorite is green beans and red onions, American-style, with white vinegar and a teaspoon of sugar! Which would be your favorite?

~ Jericha Kingston

Posted by on April 22, 2016 in Jericha Kingston, Recipe

Tags: , , , ,

13 responses to “Pickled!

1. Linda W. Yezak

April 22, 2016 at 6:01 am

Love canning and pickling season. We used to have a garden before things went wonky around here. Now we make regular visits to our farmer’s market. Got all my jars, lids, and rings. Got a good supply of SureJel and Certo too. Excited! Summer’s coming!

• jerichakingston

April 22, 2016 at 3:00 pm

LOVE the farmer’s market, Linda! Isn’t canning wonderful?

April 22, 2016 at 7:49 am

My Granny from Louisiana used to make homemade pickles. I was always astounded as how very green they were. I often wondered if she used food coloring–they were that green. 🙂

April 22, 2016 at 10:05 am

My mom used to make a green-green sweet pickle and she used food coloring. That was a pretty popular recipe “back in the day.”

• jerichakingston

April 22, 2016 at 3:01 pm

Wow, I’ve never heard of using food coloring before! My brother-in-law makes jalapeno sweet pickles. They’re amazing!

April 22, 2016 at 8:10 am

It all sounds good! I’ve used cucumbers, onion, cauliflower, tomatoes, and carrots. Never used green beans, but I’ll give it a try. I like American. And apple cider vinegar. 🙂

April 22, 2016 at 10:03 am

I just reread this and you mention a 1 pound glass jar. I first read that as 1 gallon. What size is a 1 pound glass jar? A pint? A quart? Can you put it in canning terms for those of us who think that way? 🙂

• jerichakingston

April 22, 2016 at 3:02 pm

Sorry! A pint jar.

4. kararhunt

April 22, 2016 at 9:57 am

Oh, wow! Thanks for posting this Nikki. Never pickled before but I’m saving this post. Looking forward to trying American-style, cucumber, red onion and red/yellow peppers with apple cider vinegar. Surely, I can’t mess that up. Right? 🙂 We’ll see!

• jerichakingston

April 22, 2016 at 3:03 pm

Sounds like a winner to me, Kara! And so colorful! Excellent choice 🙂

5. kararhunt

April 22, 2016 at 3:23 pm

Is pickling the same as fermenting?

April 22, 2016 at 4:09 pm

No. Pickling is adding an acidic base with spices. Fermenting is … well it’s letting the veggies and salt set in a crock. (Not refrigerated.) The only liquid is what comes off the veggies themselves. Once the oxygen is used up, it’s done fermenting. For sauerkraut (using a 5 gallon crock) it takes 6 – 7 weeks. That said, some pickles are fermented. But most of them are not. (Think the old-fashioned pickled in a wooden barrel, stored at room temperature, in the old general store.

• kararhunt

April 22, 2016 at 5:06 pm

Thanks, Pegg! I thought for sure I was going to have to ask one of you ladies to do a video tutorial. But your answer helped me visualize. Sort of. Although a Pegg or Nikkki video tutorial still wouldn’t hurt 🙂