Our Version of the Easter Bunny

21 Mar

Jeff with Athena & trophy 1Rabbits have been a part of my life since I was a kid in 4-H. I raised and showed rabbits on into my adult years. My son grew up going to rabbit shows. I remember him strapped to my back, looking over my shoulder at the show tables and babbling in my ear before he could speak any words. I guess it’s no surprise that he went on to show rabbits in 4-H and even farther than our local open shows, he showed at several National Rabbit Shows.

foxAndRabbitThe breed he chose is called Silver Fox, because their coat closely resembles the fur of a silver fox. These are very large rabbits, adults maturing between 9 and 12 pounds. That makes them larger than many dog breeds!

Showing is only one aspect of raising rabbits. They are also a meat animal. I know … half my readers just swooned. But it’s a fact of life that rabbits feed much of the wild population of animals, and they do a pretty good job of feeding humans as well. Domestic rabbit is 100% white meat that rates even healthier than turkey.

One Easter Sunday morning, many years ago when we attended a church in town, a lady asked me what I was cooking for Easter Dinner. Not thinking anything of it, I told her I was cooking rabbit. I wish I could adequately describe the expression of horror that crossed her face, but the words wouldn’t do it justice. The look was followed by what I can only describe as a screech of the words, “You’re eating the Easter Bunny?” Heads turned from all corners of the narthex.

I’d honestly never thought about it that way.

As I cook another Easter Dinner of rabbit this year, my son will – once again – laugh and recount the story that is now more than 20 years old. Our version of the Easter Bunny will never be confused with the true meaning of Easter and the sacrifice of God’s Son, His resurrection, and the gift of His salvation for all who choose to follow Him. I’m okay with that.

~ Pegg Thomas

Trooper and Pegg cropped

PeggThomas.com

Posted by on March 21, 2016 in Pegg Thomas

Tags: , , ,

8 responses to “Our Version of the Easter Bunny

March 21, 2016 at 7:23 am

Great pictures, Pegg! I’ve never had rabbit before, but I’m game 😉

March 21, 2016 at 12:23 pm

On your next visit, it’s what’s for dinner. 🙂

March 21, 2016 at 8:16 am

That’s hilarious. I’ve never had rabbit, but like Jericha, I’m game.

March 21, 2016 at 12:24 pm

Maybe you can come and visit with Jericha, and we’ll have a feast. Come in the summer and hubby can cook it over the open wood fire in the back yard. YUM!

3. Brenda Scruggs

March 21, 2016 at 8:38 am

Growing up, my farther and brothers hunted a lot, deer rabbits, birds etc.. I remember as a little girl I would help mom clean rabbits for cooking and then she’d tried to pass it off as chicken when I came to the dinner table. (lol that didn’t last long. Rabbit wasn’t my favorite meat as a little girl.)

March 22, 2016 at 8:07 pm

Wild rabbit is all dark meat. Domestic rabbit (which descend from European origins) are all white meat. I grew us with granddads, uncles, a dad, and a brother who all hunted, so I’ve had my share of both. 🙂

March 21, 2016 at 2:14 pm

My hubby and boys love rabbit, but I’m not brave enough to try it. Love that story, though. 😉

March 21, 2016 at 8:11 pm

It’ll happen … you’ll see, 😉 Those boys will work on you.