Animals & Authors with Joan Deneve

16 Mar

Writing – they say – is a solitary occupation. But is it? Let’s visit with author Joan Deneve and ask her about her constant companions.

QPQ: Joan, thanks for joining us! Please introduce us to the dogs you’re sharing with us today.

JD: Hello, Jericha. I’m thrilled to tell you a little about my furry family members.

In the forty years we’ve been married, every animal we’ve ever owned has chosen us and not the other way around. You name it: cats, dogs, and even a baby bird that we somehow kept alive. My husband actually had to teach him how to fly!

Sugar showed up on our doorstep six years ago. My granddaughter named her Sugar because her fur was the color of brown sugar. Well-named, indeed, for she is the sweetest, most loving dog we’ve ever owned!

Sassy came a year later. For a few days, we called her “dog 2” but finally settled on the name Sassy. What a character! She wags her tail in a perfect circle. When she’s excited, it looks like she will take off, tail first!

QPQ: Aww! I love your fur babies already. How do Sugar and Sassy help you in your writing?

JD: Sugar has to be where the humans are. Always! If my husband were still up, Sugar would be at his feet. But I do most of my writing after he has gone to bed, so Sugar finds me and lies beside me well into the night. She’s the perfect writing companion. She’s quiet, and her presence calms me.

QPQ: That’s so precious. A sweet girl, indeed. Have you ever written one of your pets into a story?

JD: Funny you should ask. In my second book, Freeing Ellie, there is a rather rambunctious dog named Lady modeled after my son’s very active (and bad) dog. In Saving Eric, there are a couple of cats that are a composite of all the cats we’ve owned.

QPQ: I’ve read Saving Eric, and I know just which kitties you’re talking about! I love those cats! One more question… Tell us three things you, Sugar, and Sassy have in common.

JD: Oh my goodness! What a great question! I wish I could say I’m as sweet and forgiving as Sugar.

Okay. Let me think about this one. Well, I can honestly say she and I are both besotted with my husband and want to be where he is when he’s at home. So I guess we’re both attention junkies and can never get too much loving. Also, Sugar and I both love to eat. All the time! And I confess that I can get pretty animated and excited, just like Sassy… but without the circular tail-wag!

Facebook dogQPQ: Too funny! Joan, thank you so much for visiting the Quid Pro Quills today. It was so nice to visit with you again, and to get acquainted with your dear pets. My last question for you… Where on the web can readers connect with you and your books?

JD: I always love visiting Quid Pro Quills! Readers can find me at www.joandeneve.com or Joannie Deneve on Facebook. I’d love to hear some of your readers’ animal “tales”!

QPQ: So would I, Joan! I look forward to your next visit at the Quid Pro Quills!

~ Jericha Kingston

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

11 responses to “Animals & Authors with Joan Deneve

March 16, 2016 at 7:39 am

Thank you for introducing us to Sugar and Sassy, Joan!

2. Joan Deneve

March 16, 2016 at 7:45 am

Always a pleasure chatting with you, Jericha! Love and God bless!!!

March 16, 2016 at 9:10 am

Sweet dogs you have there!

• Joan Deneve

March 17, 2016 at 6:39 pm

Thank you, Robin. They add so much joy to our lives. 😉

March 16, 2016 at 10:30 am

What a fun pair of dogs you have! Thanks for introducing them to us. 🙂

• Nancy Kimball

March 16, 2016 at 11:04 am

This is my writing partner and she has this amazing magical couch where all our plot problems are fixed when we talk them out there! And my dog, who is named after Eric from Saving Eric, loves Sugar. Sassy not so much hehe.

• Joan Deneve

March 17, 2016 at 6:43 pm

Yes, Nancy Kimball! Those are some good times on the amazing magical couch! And we couldn’t do it without our dog “son” and “daughter”! 🙂 So honored that you named your handsome rescue dog after Eric Templeton.

• Joan Deneve

March 17, 2016 at 6:40 pm

Thank you, Pegg. You are very welcome. I had fun talking about them!

• Joan Deneve

March 17, 2016 at 6:41 pm

Thank you, Pegg! I had fun talking about them. They add so much joy to our lives.

5. Jebraun Clifford

March 16, 2016 at 4:51 pm

Sounds like Sugar and Sassy are a lot of fun! I love how pets add to the richness of life 🙂

• Joan Deneve

March 17, 2016 at 6:44 pm

Hi Jebraun! Yes, they are a lot of fun. You are so right. Pets add so much joy to our lives!