What’s One More?

25 Jan

FB header 3

My son is a cowboy. Literally. He trains horses, he’s team roper, he wears the hat, the boots, and the spurs. I should have listened to that old Willy Nelson song, “Mamas, Don’t Let Your Babies Grow Up to be Cowboys.” But I didn’t.

Last month he called to tell me he was buying another horse and would bring it up for the two weeks he’d be staying with us over Christmas. He’s a school teacher by day, so he gets a long Christmas break. And because he lives at the opposite corner of the state from us, we love having that time to spend with him. And his horses. There were a few jokes with our friends about how everyone’s son comes home for the holidays hauling horses. And then, in a twist of fate involving his old truck and needed repairs or replacement, he has returned south leaving my winter paddock full of horses.

Over the past couple of months, I’ve been invited to participate in not one, not two, but three romance anthology proposals. This was all very unexpected because a) I don’t write romance and b) I’m not a fan of anthologies. But you know that old saw about looking a gift horse in the mouth. Or even better, that the Lord works in mysterious ways. I agreed to the first because the opportunity was presented, and I felt that it would be foolish to turn it down. I agreed to the second because I knew I’d enjoy working with the person who asked. I agreed to the third because it’s with a very special group of ladies close to my heart.

So this month I have a paddock full of horses and a calendar full of deadlines.

Isn’t that the way life works? So often it’s feast or famine. We have either too much, or too little, of the things in our lives. But God knows what we need and when we need it. He’ll give us the strength and grace to see it through.

Now I need to pull on my coat and boots, toss some hay to the horses, pitch a little … well … you know, and get back to my computer to pound out my next chapter. Write on!

~ Pegg Thomas

Trooper and Pegg cropped

PeggThomas.com

Posted by on January 25, 2016 in Pegg Thomas, Writing

Tags: , , , , ,

13 responses to “What’s One More?

January 25, 2016 at 6:18 am

What a wonderful post! I love horses. Always wanted one but I grew up in Indianapolis so…. I went horseback riding out west several times as a kid and those are some of my fondest vacation memories. I can’t wait to read your stories! Most of which I’m guessing involve horses. 😉

January 25, 2016 at 10:25 am

Yes, they do! Pretty hard to write historical stories with them.

2. kararhunt

January 25, 2016 at 8:12 am

The more horses the merrier! And you’re right. The writer’s life can be rockier than those old dime store mechanical horses. And yet we still do it. #gottasharethegift 😊

January 25, 2016 at 10:26 am

And we wouldn’t trade it for anything!

January 25, 2016 at 8:57 am

I have one city boy and one quasi-country boy. But neither has been on a horse in his life. Breaks a mother’s heart 🙂

January 25, 2016 at 10:26 am

They’re young yet … it could happen!

January 25, 2016 at 12:05 pm

We never took our kids horseback riding, because my husband doesn’t like horses. Go figure. I love them, and like Candice, some of my fondest memories are from horseback riding near my grandparents’ house in southern Oklahoma.

My eldest was recently able to ride horses and really enjoyed it. I don’t think he’ll ever be a country boy, but at least he had the experience.

And I’m so excited for you and these anthologies. I think you’re going to nail all three. Your writing career feels poised to take off, Pegg!

January 25, 2016 at 1:18 pm

That would be awesome, Robin! But I’m a realist enough to know I’ll be THRILLED if just one comes through.

5. Quid Pro Quills

January 25, 2016 at 1:13 pm

I love the analogy, Pegg. Right now my quiver is full too. Sorry, no horses in my life. 🙂

6. KarlaAkins

January 26, 2016 at 3:42 pm

I want a horse!

January 27, 2016 at 5:21 pm

Get one!

• KarlaAkins

January 27, 2016 at 5:55 pm

Oh I wish I lived where I could have one but I don’t. And sure can’t afford to board one. Would if I could, though!