Butt Glue

02 Nov

chairI glueseriously need some butt glue to keep me in my chair. I approach my chair with the fullest intention of sitting down to write for hours, knowing my masterpiece will be finished by supper time.

Here’s what typically happens, my gluteus maximus has no more than made contact with the fabric of my chair when my brain kicks into distraction overdrive. Suddenly my gray matter is flooded with images of a sink buried in dishes, laundry flowing from its bin like lava, dust bunnies growling at each other under the sofa, and I discover a hangnail that simply must be clipped … right now.

And then the phone rings. And then the dog needs to go out, And then I need a drink, which in the process of getting I discover I’m out of ice cubes so I need to fill all the trays, and walking back to my chair I see the mail on the table that I forgot to read yesterday … squirrel!

squirrel

Can anyone else relate?! (Please tell me I’m not alone.)

~ Pegg Thomas

Trooper and Pegg cropped

PeggThomas.com

Posted by on November 2, 2015 in Humor, Pegg Thomas, Writing

Tags: , , , , , ,

9 responses to “Butt Glue

November 2, 2015 at 8:10 am

I never used to have this problem, but now that I’m back to work, what little time I have to write is full of distractions. 😦

November 2, 2015 at 9:25 pm

You’re at a very busy time of life too, Candice. But those boys of yours will grow up all too fast. Enjoy them while you can!

November 2, 2015 at 8:20 am

You’re not alone. My “office” is my kitchen table, so there are distractions everywhere (and food…my favorite distraction.) I will sometimes set a timer and force myself to stay in the chair for an hour. Often by the end of the hour, I’m engrossed in what I’m doing and don’t want to stop. The first fifteen minutes are the hardest.

November 2, 2015 at 9:26 pm

Oh, my … yes … the food distraction. Deadly.

November 2, 2015 at 9:50 am

This happens to me everyday. My Plan A rarely succeeds. My best intentions are always interrupted!

November 2, 2015 at 9:26 pm

Which is precisely why I have plans B, C, D … S, T, U … you get the idea. 😉

4. ceciliamariepulliamc

November 2, 2015 at 5:52 pm

Yes, I certainly can relate. I am making better progress since I set myself a rule of completing 1000 words a day. It isn’t much. However, I just read that Steven King writes 1500 words a day, every day, and look how many books he’s written. I hope to bump up my quota in a few weeks. It seems to be helping. I am not chasing as many squirrels as I used to, at least not at the same time I want to write. I tell the little critters to wait just a few more minutes, a mind game that seems to help. Well it did today…..

November 2, 2015 at 9:29 pm

OMGosh! You talk to your squirrels?! Brilliant! I need to try that. For whatever reason, I seem to have more luck setting time than word count goals. But I can’t reach either if I don’t SIT IN THE STUPID CHAIR!!!

• ceciliamariepulliamc

November 3, 2015 at 8:22 am

Yes, I talk to my squirrels. They haven’t answered back yet. Maybe that’s when I should be worried? 😉