3 Reasons Why You Should Say No

23 Oct

Do you find it hard to say No to people? file5321243900330

I can relate. I don’t like saying No because I enjoying helping people. But I’ve often said Yes to requests that have been pretty unreasonable, even downright selfish. We’re supposed to set an example by being a blessing to people, right? How can we do that if we don’t say Yes?

Here are three reasons to reconsider your response when people ask you for help.

6F6A3033Give people a chance to discover new solutions to their problems. That may sound cruel, but if someone continues to take advantage of your kindness to assist, it’s not healthy for her or you. Give the individual an opportunity to weigh all of her options.

A grudgingly-given Yes is really a dishonest No in disguise. Why say Yes if you don’t mean it? Scripture tells us to let our yes and no be authentic. We must be emotionally transparent, honest in our speech and actions.

girl in natureAn authentic No is a blessing. God gives wisdom to those who ask. Ask Him how you should use your time. When we’re not constantly fulfilling the wishes of others, we can rightly divide our time with our Creator, our families, our work, and our hobbies.

By all means, whenever it’s in your power to help someone, do. But if you sense a pattern of irresponsible behavior, a genuine No might be the kindest response you can give.

Those are my thoughts. I’d love to hear yours.

~ Jericha Kingston

Posted by on October 23, 2015 in Jericha Kingston

Tags: , , , , ,

6 responses to “3 Reasons Why You Should Say No

1. Linda W. Yezak

October 23, 2015 at 6:46 am

Love this. Different perspective on the mean ol’ negative. Thanks, Jericha!

• jerichakingston

October 23, 2015 at 8:46 am

So glad this was helpful, Linda. Finding the balance is the tough part! Thanks so much for stopping by.

October 23, 2015 at 7:53 am

This is so true. Enabling others because we feel good helping out is not really being helpful. I think we do this with our kids way too much. Wise words, my friend!

• jerichakingston

October 23, 2015 at 8:49 am

You said it, Pegg! It’s most difficult to say No to those we love.

October 23, 2015 at 8:26 am

Excellent points! I have to remind myself sometimes that if the job, whatever the “help” is, wasn’t meant for me, then if I take it on, I’m stealing that blessing from someone else.

• jerichakingston

October 23, 2015 at 8:51 am

Robin, that is on point. How many blessings have I robbed others of because I couldn’t say No? Thank you. Wise words.