What is Home?

31 Aug
Adam with Scott Paul

My hubby with film director Scott Paul

Last week my family was blessed with an amazing opportunity that seemed to come out of nowhere. The Adult Programs Coordinator at our local library asked me to participate in a meeting with film director Scott Paul regarding his documentary-in-progress, “What Home Means to Me.” I went, not knowing what to expect and answered his questions while he recorded, as did a handful of my fellow small-town neighbors. The next day, Scott called and asked if he could come out to our house and film the entire family in our element, while digging deeper into what home really means. I agreed, though I was extremely nervous to be interviewed (again) by a seven-time regional Emmy Award-winning educational film director and former employee of CNN. What could I possibly bring that was interesting or fresh and new to the subject of home?

My kids with Scott Paul

My kids with Scott Paul

All afternoon I debated what to wear, what to say. As a writer I know my thoughts are best created and organized on paper, so I wrote down everything I could think about when it comes to the home and jotted down my personal answers to those questions. That got the proverbial wheels in my head turning and opened a floodgate of emotions and story ideas, which also lead me to write a series of blog posts on the subject of home (stay tuned!).

It also brought back some great memories.

My childhood home

My childhood home

This is my childhood home. I was raised on the south side of Indianapolis in a quiet and friendly community from birth until age 13. Though I haven’t stepped inside that home for many years, I can close my eyes and still see every thing exactly the way it was from the early 80s to the mid-90s–every Home Interior decoration on the walls, the gaudy pink wallpaper in my bedroom, the table where we did our homework and gathered as a family for dinner. Oh, and the bathroom counter always cluttered with crimping irons and large cans of Aqua Net. The modern brick structure itself fit our needs and personalities during that particular time. As does the farmhouse I live in now with its slightly crooked door frames, stone fireplace, and country-style front porch.

Which leads me to the question, what is home to you? How does the structure and style of your home fit your needs and personality? What would you like to change about your home? What would you NEVER change about your home?

~Candice Sue Patterson is the author of Silver White Winters and Bright Copper Kettles. She writes Modern-Vintage Romance–where the past and present collide with faith. Her debut novel How to Charm a Beekeeper’s Heart will release in 2016. Learn more at her website www.candicesuepatterson.com.

Posted by on August 31, 2015 in Candice Sue Patterson

Tags:

6 responses to “What is Home?

August 31, 2015 at 7:20 am

The house I grew up in was a converted one-room school house. My parent had it torn down when I was 15 and built a Crackerjack box ranch house. It never felt like home to me. Probably because I was a teenager.

My hubby and I moved to SW Kansas when we married and we lived in a trailer park. That’s the lifestyle out there. I didn’t like it. Felt like we lived in a tin can. We moved back to Michigan and bought an old house it town. Loved the house. Didn’t like living in town. After 3 1/2 years, we moved to an old farm house in the country. I loved it. Then 11 years later, we followed employment again and moved up north and bought a tri-level house. I don’t know who invented the tri-level house, but they had issues.

Somewhere along the way I figured out that “home” isn’t the “house.” It doesn’t matter if it’s a Crackerjack box, a tin can, an antique, or an architectural nightmare. Home is where my loved ones are.

• Candice Sue Patterson

August 31, 2015 at 8:47 am

Yes, Pegg, you’re absolutely right. Home is where the heart is, which leads to my next post. 😉
      Even if we don’t live in our “dream home” we put our own touches on the one we have to make it our own, make it fit our personalities. The aura of our home affects our mood, our relaxation ability, and our guests. Where the structure itself is simply shelter, we crave to make it “ours.”

August 31, 2015 at 8:02 am

Home…what a great topic! Having been mobile for most of my life, I’ve lived in lots if homes: a trailer, ranch, condo, apartment, and even a two-story once. Currently our home is a brick ranch. The hubby is a huge fan of block/brick homes. If I had my pick, I’d live in an old house with a wrap-around porch where I could rock/swing and shell peas. I’m grateful for my home, but if we’re talking changes, I’d love to update the interior. The cabinets, doorframes, and baseboards throughout the house are all dark wood. I’d like them all to be white, or either light-colored pine. In the future, I’m really hopeful our final home will have a pool. But I’d like our next home itself to be about 1700sf. We’re over 2000 now, and it’s too big for just two. And the hubs said it will be in Florida. So there. 🙂

August 31, 2015 at 8:52 am

I’m with you, Jericha, I’d LOVE a wrap-around porch. I love my home the way it is, but if I could make changes I would put the laundry room upstairs (so tired of hauling heavy laundry baskets to and from the basement), and I’d enlarge the kitchen. Three boys and a hubby who’re always hungry require a lot of cooking that would be more convenient if my space was slightly larger. 🙂

• jerichakingston

September 1, 2015 at 9:25 am

I’d put the washer/dryer IN my bedroom. Who came up with putting it anywhere but there?? That’s where we take off dirty clothes. I get that the machines need to be near a water supply, but couldn’t they attach it to the master bath? If I ever get a chance to build, that’ll be the third item on the must-have list…right behind the pool and the porch. I know, I’m missing the point of this blog 🙂

August 31, 2015 at 9:20 am

When I think of home, I think of the house we moved to when I was 7. I imagine fires in the fireplace, towering trees outside my second-story window, and robin’s egg blue paint on my walls. (And no, it’s not a coincidence that my mother always called it “robin’s egg blue.” I think of the tiny swamp-turned-lake (thanks to the condo developers who purchased it) across the street from our house and the beautiful view I always took for granted. And I think of the five of us sitting around the white, round table with the bright yellow chairs in the kitchen, eating dinner. Our home was not always a happy place. My parents separated when I was 16, and things hadn’t been great before that. Still, the word “home” evokes happy memories.

I wonder what memories the word “home” will evoke in my kids. We’ve had our share of trials, but I hope when they think of home, they remember being loved and cherished and honored. I pray their memories are cheerful and full of hope.