Sure, No Problem!

24 Aug

frustratedphoto“Sure, I can do that. No problem.”

Have you ever said that? Have you ever said that to your agent? Are you laughing at me? Go ahead. I have thick skin. (And I can’t hear you anyway.)

When a certain well-known publishing house requested the full manuscript for the first book in my historical trilogy, I was beyond thrilled. So was my agent. But then she warned me that this publishing house prefers historical novels longer than my word count. She asked me if I could increase the word count to meet their preferences.

That’s when I made the comment above.

That was roughly seven weeks ago. Don’t ask how far I’ve gotten. Please don’t ask.

It’s not that I don’t have a plan. It’s not that I don’t know what I want to add. It’s not that I haven’t done the research (because it’s a historical – there must be research). It’s not that I haven’t written.

So why am I pulling my hair out? Because this is A LOT harder than I realized it would be. Here’s how a typical rewriting session goes:

Start reading where I left off yesterday. Have an “Ah-HA!” brilliant idea to add. Write like mad. Pat myself on the back at how brilliant this idea is. Continue reading. Find almost word for word what I just so brilliantly wrote two pages back. Groan. Growl. Grit my teeth. Back up and erase my brilliant idea that now looks trite. Scroll down to the original. It looks trite too. Fix it.

Repeat.

~ Pegg Thomas

Trooper and Pegg cropped

Posted by on August 24, 2015 in Pegg Thomas, Writing

Tags: , , , , , ,

10 responses to “Sure, No Problem!

August 24, 2015 at 6:31 am

Oh, Pegg, I feel for you! Rewrites aren’t easy. But I know you’ll succeed because you’re a great writer and the story is wonderful. We Quids are always here to share ideas, if you need. 🙂

August 24, 2015 at 3:57 pm

Thanks, Candice! I may be calling you. 🙂

2. Linda W. Yezak

August 24, 2015 at 9:29 am

I wish I had advice for you, but the best I can do is sympathize. I *always* have that problem. A surprise, when you think of it. As much as I love to talk, why do I have a word-count problem?!

• Robin Patchen

August 24, 2015 at 9:40 am

Linda, I’m just the opposite. I was aiming for 90k words on my latest novel, and it came it at 115,000. So now I have to figure out what to cut.

August 24, 2015 at 3:57 pm

I know! I’m never short of words in real life either. Go figure.

August 24, 2015 at 9:39 am

Sounds torturous. Why do we put ourselves through this kind of thing? Oh, yeah. Because we’re writers. Which means we’re crazy masochists.

So I’ll echo Candice. You’re a great writer, and you can do this.

August 24, 2015 at 2:54 pm

In a perfect world, there would be no word count. Alas, those are the rules. It’s a confining world, I tell ya! You’ll do it. I have faith! 🙂

August 24, 2015 at 3:57 pm

You’re so right, Jericha! In a perfect world …