Platform or Soapbox? Part Two

29 Jun

Platform or Soapbox? Part One – in case you missed it! The old-fashioned soapbox had its advantages and disadvantages.

Advantage #1) You stood out in the crowd. Literally. The soapbox put you head and shoulders above those who gathered around. That physical advantage meant you were bound to draw attention.

Disadvantage #1) You stood out in the crowd, making you a prime target for rotting produce hurled by those who disagreed with your message.

Advantage #2) You were there, in person, face-to-face with your listeners. You could read their body language, get immediate feedback, and truly interact with them.

Disadvantage #2) You were there, in person, easy for the police to pick up if you crossed the line and incited a riot. And within reach of any dog that might be sicced on you.

Tweet this: Do you have a platform or a soapbox?

The new-fangled social media also has its advantages and disadvantages.

Advantage #1) You can do this from the comfort of your easy chair. You don’t have to get dressed, shave, or brush your teeth before interacting with the entire world.

Disadvantage #1) You can do this from the comfort of your easy chair. You get no face-to-face feedback. No body language from your “listeners.” And people can take whatever you read with a grain of salt, because they lack the same from you.

Advantage #2) You can reach the whole world. Everyone will know what you think, what you’re working on, and what you had for breakfast.

Disadvantage #2) You can reach the whole world, including readers and publishers and others who may look askance at your opinions on Global Warming or Abortion. In short – you can turn off the whole world in one fell swoop.

How are you taking the advantages of social media while minimizing the disadvantages? I’d love to hear from authors who are being intentional about their social media time.

Look for the final installment, Platform or Soapbox? Part Three on July 13, 2015 ~ Pegg Thomas

Posted by on June 29, 2015 in Pegg Thomas, Writing

Tags: , , , , , ,

8 responses to “Platform or Soapbox? Part Two

June 29, 2015 at 9:22 am

These are such great points. I have some pretty strong opinions–and I don’t think I’m alone in that. But I’ve decided that social media is not the place to voice those opinions. I’ll like and even share things I feel passionate about, as long as they’re not offensive, but I’m not going to get into arguments with people about social issues. (Not that I haven’t made some mistakes about this in the past, believe me.) I try to keep my posts positive. I think of FB sort of like a party. We’re all standing around, chatting about our lives. Nobody likes a dogmatic loudmouth at a party, running around and setting everyone else straight.

June 29, 2015 at 2:35 pm

There may have been *cough* a time in my younger years when I was that person at the party. 😉

June 29, 2015 at 9:59 am

Great points, Pegg and Robin. Sometimes it’s so hard for me NOT to say anything in response to the posts I see on Facebook, especially the ones related to the issues going on in our country right now. But I decided a long time ago to keep my political opinions off social media. Reality is I won’t change anyone’s mind with them anyway and it’ll just be another internet debate. However, I will “like” a post I agree whole-heartily with. Like Robin, I aim to keep my posts positive. But if asked my opinion, I will give it. 😉

June 29, 2015 at 2:36 pm

And that’s why we have private group pages, right?!

3. Kara (@KaraHunt2015)

June 29, 2015 at 11:22 am

Pegg, these are a great. I think the key is no matter what you share, do it in love.

June 29, 2015 at 2:07 pm

Virtual disadvantage: Hecklers. I’ll respond kindly to a disgruntled reader for a bit. After three unfair comments, I’m done. Virtual advantage: Blocking those who are aggressive. Disagreeing is one thing. Bullying or being vicious? Zero tolerance.

June 29, 2015 at 2:38 pm

Great point! I delete any post on my page that is profane or derogatory to another person. And rude posts. If someone is just being rude, it’s gone.