Write a Novel in 10 Minutes a Day

01 Jun

WANITMAD screenshotComment to receive a free book, Conquering Twitter in 10 Minutes a Day.

Can’t find the time to work on your novel? Do I have a book for you.

Author and home schooling mother of five (yes, five!) children, Katharine Grubb wasn’t going to let a little thing like not having enough hours in the day stop her from writing her books. So she figured out a way to write her novel in ten minute increments.

Having home schooled myself, I can imagine what that looks like. Get all the kids settled down with schoolwork, then run to the computer to write. Ten minutes later—if you’re lucky—one of the kids has a question, and you stop to deal with it. All day long, I imagine Katharine deals with kids, turns to the computer to write, then gets interrupted again. Who could write a book that way?

Katharine could. In fact, she could write a few that way, and one of the books she fashioned in ten minute increments is ironically called, Write a Novel in Ten Minutes a Day.

I’ll admit it: I was skeptical. But I decided I’d better take a look at her book, since I’m a member of her Facebook group and a follower of her website, and wow, if you want to write a novel, you need this book.

Not only will you find strategies to maximize your time, but Katharine has filled the book with exercises that will take you from, “I want to write a novel” to “The End”—all in short increments. She explores everything from brainstorming and plotting (or not) to finishing the first draft and editing. Katharine doesn’t miss a step. The best part is that each of the exercises is designed to fit into your schedule.

Tweet this: Achieve your dream of becoming a novelist in just 10 minutes a day.

And with all that great stuff, I think my favorite thing about this book is all the fantastic quotes Katharine has in there. Or maybe it’s her funny, sometimes snarky voice. I love a great author voice, and just because it’s nonfiction doesn’t mean it has to be boring.

Whether you’re a time-crunched author or not, the exercises in this book will help you become a better novelist. I highly recommend it.

And after you’ve bought the book, pop over to Katharine’s website, 10 Minute Novelists, and sign up for her occasional newsletters. Then join her Facebook Group, 10 Minute Novelists, where you’ll connect with other time-strapped writers.

Screen Shot 2015-01-19 at 1.06.42 PMKatharine is giving away a copy of her latest book, Conquering Twitter in Ten Minutes a Day, to everybody who comments. So pop down into the comments, tell us your favorite time-management strategy (or just say hi), and be sure to leave your email address. Do it in a way the computers won’t recognize, like name (at) something (dot) something.

Tags: , , ,

11 responses to “Write a Novel in 10 Minutes a Day

June 1, 2015 at 6:55 am

I have so got to get this book! Thanks for sharing.

June 1, 2015 at 7:15 am

Any help in conquering Twitter is greatly appreciated! Does it help me learn to *like* Twitter? I hope?! Thanks for the heads-up on these books!

June 1, 2015 at 8:30 am

Y’all will love this book. I’m not a particularly time-strapped author. I generally work in one-hour increments, but her ideas are just as relevant for me as they are for people with less time to kill.

4. Peggy Wirgau

June 1, 2015 at 12:30 pm

This sounds like such a useful tool for those of us that are always saying, “No writing today…I’m too busy.” I’ll take all the tips I can get! But one thing that helps me is getting up earlier, when possible, and setting that time aside only for writing.

5. Kara (@KaraHunt2015)

June 1, 2015 at 7:29 pm

Twitter in Ten Minutes a Day. That is a book I definitely need to read. Thanks for sharing this, Robin!

June 1, 2015 at 7:32 pm

Sounds like I can really use this one. Thanks for joining us, Katharine!

7. jackjbinding

June 2, 2015 at 11:57 am

How do I conquer Twitter..?! And do I really want to..? Help!

8. Janean Worth

June 4, 2015 at 11:39 am

Sounds great! I’m always struggling to find enough writing time!!

• Robin Patchen

June 4, 2015 at 3:39 pm

Aren’t we all, Janean? It’s a never-ending struggle!

9. Janet K Brown

June 8, 2015 at 4:25 pm

Sounds good. Love the ideas of what can be done in 10 minutes. I could sure use the twitter help. I just don’t understand it. Thanks for sharing about this interesting book.