Too Tired?

15 Apr

ABC-Blocks

My five year old daughter is usually enthusiastic about helping around the house and her frequent response when asked to do something is, “A job? I love jobs!”

The other day, I asked her to pick up the last block from the floor and put it in the toy box. She looked down at the block for a moment and this time her little face was void of any enthusiasm.

“I don’t want to,” she said. “I’m tired.”

“It’s only one block,” I replied. “You’re not that tired.”

To show her I had complete faith in her abilities, I walked into the kitchen as though she’d already completed the task. I waited to see what she’d do, and not more than a minute later, I saw her walking toward the toy box. She was holding the block in her cupped hands, repeating to herself, “I don’t have to do this. I don’t have to do this.”

There are times when I’ve felt God put something on my heart, some prompting within to do a specific thing, to accomplish a certain task, and I’ve responded with, “I can’t do this. I’m not sure I even want to try. I don’t have the strength or the energy. I’m tired.”

Often the things I’ve viewed as monumental and impossible have turned out to be simple blocks. God won’t give us these “blocks” unless He also provides the means and the strength to carry them. We can ignore the blocks or we can pick them up reluctantly, all the while telling ourselves we don’t really have to do this. Me, I’m praying for the strength to embrace whatever God places in my path, for it’s likely He’s building something wonderful with all those blocks.

~Marge Wiebe

Posted by on April 15, 2015 in devotion, Marge Wiebe, Parenting

Tags: , , , , , ,

7 responses to “Too Tired?

April 15, 2015 at 7:45 am

Oh my. I’m guilty of this. I don’t think I should do certain actions, since I’m fully capable of *other* actions better suited to my talents and personality. Then I wonder why I’m not successful, when I haven’t been obedient with what He’s already placed in my hands. Shouldn’t I have this figured out already?!

• Marge Wiebe

April 15, 2015 at 9:22 am

I’m so with you on the “shouldn’t I have figured this out already?!”. 🙂

April 15, 2015 at 7:45 am

Great message, Marge! We can learn so much by watching our children. Jesus said:

“Truly I say to you, unless you are converted and become like children, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven. ~ Matthew 18:3

• Marge Wiebe

April 15, 2015 at 9:23 am

Great verse, Pegg! It really is amazing what we can learn from our kids.

3. Janet Kerr

April 15, 2015 at 8:31 am

Thanks for posting this, Marge. This will help me with the *block* I need to pick up. It’s funny how an example like this can put things into perspective.

4. Marge Wiebe

April 15, 2015 at 9:24 am

Janet, I’m glad this was helpful. I have a few of my own “blocks” I still need to pick up. I’m so thankful for God’s grace and love–and patience! 🙂

April 15, 2015 at 11:23 am

I’ve been staring at a single block for two weeks. My thoughts are just like your daughter’s–I’m too tired, I don’t want to do this, I don’t have to do this, I can’t do this. Thank God he’s patient with me. I think I need to pick up that block today. Thank you for this simple visual.