The Desired Result

10 Apr

butterfly and mothPollen, butterflies, and the droning of bees signify the return of spring . . . and yard work. My husband and I have been working in the yard every day this week.

Monday was tough. Mounds of brittle leaves and pine straw had to be raked and burned before we could plant. Muscles I’d neglected for months protested. Also, my husband never stops, so I felt like a slacker when I took a break.

Thankfully our toil was rewarded with temperatures in the mid-seventies and an exhilarating breeze. Still, after eight hours of yard work, I was sweat-soaked, grimy, and famished.

Tuesday morning my posture resembled a candy cane. But I hobbled outside, creaking like the Tin Man. My husband cranked his chainsaw and whacked drooping palm fronds and oak branches that had been decimated by Jack Frost. I saluted the fallen appendages and hauled them out of his way and onto a waiting trailer.

As each day passed the work became a little easier. That wonderful breeze kept blowing, consecrating our labor. We shoveled, planted, and watered. And finally, it happened.

I imagined the knockout roses beside the hydrangeas . . . envisioned dahlias and zinnias swaying above a carpet of alyssum, with a backdrop of multi-colored gladioli . . . anticipated the moss roses creeping along the ground beneath the holly trees.

PICT5966Editing your writing is a lot like yard work. You have to do some undesirable things to achieve the desired result. For example, pruning seems crazy, but cutting away the ineffective increases productivity. And while it’s time-consuming to thin seedlings, a simple transplant can make all the difference. Finally, as painful as it is, a complete removal of an invasive species makes room for a more organic presence.

Happy editing!

~Jericha Kingston

Posted by on April 10, 2015 in editing, Jericha Kingston

Tags: , , , , ,

10 responses to “The Desired Result

1. todaysdiywoman

April 10, 2015 at 12:24 am

Reblogged this on todaysdiywoman.

• jerichakingston

April 10, 2015 at 1:24 pm

Thanks for reblogging!

April 10, 2015 at 8:08 am

Glad you got your yard all done! Ours is finally snow-free, however, it’s now under water. Looking forward to getting out and doing some serious gardening too … here or at the new house … or both!

April 10, 2015 at 8:14 am

I wouldn’t say *done*, Pegg. It never ends! Your farm is under water? That can’t be good.

April 10, 2015 at 9:14 am

Sounds like a busy, productive week. I leave the yard work to my husband. I plant some flowers in the spring, but otherwise, everything outside the house is his job. And I’m so thankful for that. He makes it look beautiful, and I applaud and say thank you. It’s the perfect system.

• jerichakingston

April 10, 2015 at 1:22 pm

I love your system, Robin!

5. Joan Deneve

April 10, 2015 at 11:54 am

This is brilliant! Love this! Beautifully written! You’re so creative.

• jerichakingston

April 10, 2015 at 1:23 pm

You’re so kind, Joannie! From one creative person to another 🙂

6. candicesuepatterson

April 10, 2015 at 12:33 pm

Sounds like your yard will be an oasis when it’s all done! Our work is just beginning. We pruned the peach trees, split some wood, and dug up some thistle that took root in the grass. Then there’s mowing and planting and … Like you said, never ending!

April 10, 2015 at 1:25 pm

True, Candice. But sounds like you’ve got a jump on things!