Author Chat with Dina Sleiman

23 Mar

DinaSleimanQPQ – Welcome to the Quid Pro Quills, Dina!

DS – Hello and thanks for having me today.

QPQ – Tells us about your new release, Dauntless.

DS – Dauntless is a YA inspirational medieval adventure/romance and the first book in my series, Valiant Hearts. It’s the story of Merry Ellison, left on her own after her family was killed in a struggle against the King of England. Merry will go to any length to save the outlawed children of Ellsworth from the treacherous King John.

Dauntless – #newrelease medieval adventure/romance by Dina Sleiman #amreading Tweet This

QPQ – Writing for YA can be tough. What inspired you to take this project on?

DS – I’m so thankful for this opportunity to create strong and courageous role models for young women. I feel that all too often Christian girls are sent mixed messages. “You can be whatever you want to be, but you should be…” (Insert small box of your denominational choosing here.) I want to inspire young women to be all that they can be and empower them to reach their full potential in Christ.

QPQ – Excellent goal! What type of heroines are you creating for these role models?

DauntlessDS – A young woman who is feminine and strong, vulnerable and tough, gentle and passionate. She is fearless, intelligent, and full of life. A heroine who contains within her both the tender beauty of a blossoming flower and the fierceness of a lioness. One who uniquely reflects her creator God and is willing to pursue her dreams with all her heart. A woman who is open to love, but not defined by a man.

QPQ – That last part is so important to convey to our young women. Too many times we see young women who run into trouble because they don’t feel complete without a boyfriend. Bless you for telling these kinds of stories. What else do you have in store?

DS – In book 2, Chivalrous, (Available for pre-order, releasing in September 2015) Gwendolyn Barnes longs to be a knight, but such cannot be her fate, even in the Camelot inspired region where she dwells. Meanwhile, her father intends to use her as a marriage pawn.

In book 3, working titled Relentless, Rosalind goes on crusade in search of redemption. I just started writing this one, and it will be fun to see where this story takes me.

QPQ – These all sound like great stories. Let’s post a few places where readers can connect with you and your books.

DS – I hope you will consider giving my Valiant Hearts Series a try, or perhaps purchasing it for some special young woman in your life! And please join me on my Valiant Hearts blog to stay in touch. You can also find me on Facebook and Goodreads.

QPQ – Our readers can view my 5-star review of Dauntless on my blog, The Sheepish Scribe.

Dina Sleiman writes stories of passion and grace. Most of the time you will find this Virginia Beach resident reading, biking, dancing, or hanging out with her husband and three children, preferably at the oceanfront. Since finishing her Professional Writing MA in 1994, she has enjoyed many opportunities to teach literature, writing, and the arts. Her debut novel, Dance of the Dandelion with Whitefire Publishing, won an Honorable Mention in the 2012 Selah Awards. Also look for her novels, Love in Three-Quarter TimeDance from Deep Within, and her Valiant Hearts series with Bethany House Publishers. Dina serves as an acquisitions editor for WhiteFire Publishing as well, and she loves to teach at writers conferences throughout the US.

~ Pegg Thomas

Posted by on March 23, 2015 in Author Chat

Tags: , , , , , , ,

10 responses to “Author Chat with Dina Sleiman

March 23, 2015 at 8:24 am

Thank you for writing Christian YA. Our young people need to hear Truth to battle all the lies they hear in the world. I’m going to get this for my 15-year-old daughter. I think she’ll love it.

• Dina Sleiman

March 23, 2015 at 9:22 am

Thank you so much, Robin. It is a pleasure to write these books. And you have the correct idea here. If you want to see more Christian YA on the market, then you need to buy Christian YA and encourage your friends to also. Publishers are happy to produce Christian YA as long as there is an audience!

2. FictionTimes.com

March 23, 2015 at 8:34 am

Reblogged this on Book Reviews and Author Interviews.

March 23, 2015 at 9:02 am

Congratulations on Dauntless and the Valiant Hearts series, Dina! I love strong teen heroines. May we all be defined by God, young and old alike!

March 23, 2015 at 10:06 am

One of the things I really liked about Dina’s lead character is that she is strong without losing her feminine qualities. I get so weary of reading books where the female lead has more male characteristics than female. We don’t have to become like men to be strong women. Kudo, Dina, for nailing that part!

• Dina Sleiman

March 23, 2015 at 10:21 am

Thanks, Pegg. That was important to me. I hope that will be apparent throughout the series. I don’t like the feminism that was prevalent in the 80s and 90s that tried to strip women of their God-designed femininity. I believe that God created women that way with a purpose. On the other hand, within that design, we are all very different too. Some tough and sporty, some prissy and domestic, etc…. Some are called to stay home and others to go out and conquer the world. I want to see women empowered to be strong and to still be themselves.

5. Marge Wiebe

March 23, 2015 at 10:52 am

Oh, this is right up my alley! I love, love, love medieval romance, and this sounds like a great one! What a powerful message to send to young women. My daughters are still young (I’m sure they’ll love this when they get older), but I think my oldest son would enjoy the action/adventure of this story, too. Congrats on Dauntless! (Love the title!)

6. Dina Sleiman

March 23, 2015 at 11:17 am

Yes, I hear that boys like it too if they can get past the lovey, kissy type stuff. LOL. Actually, 3 out of 4 of the point of view characters in this one are males.