Simple – Right?

18 Mar

custom_mouthguard

I’ve recently had to purchase a mouth guard because I grind my teeth at night. I thought it would be a simple fix… buy the thing, wash the thing, pop the thing into my mouth at night so I could sleep and not have an aching jaw and spasming nerve pain in my head.

Simple, right? (It even said “simple” on the box.) Tweet This

One look at the lengthy set of instructions, however, and I had the inkling all would not be well. This was confirmed a short time later amid boiling water, timers going off, wailing for hubby to help, a mad dash for the bathroom mirror, more wailing for hubby to please come now, and then a redo of the whole process, now with the added pressure that it could only be attempted twice. By the time it was all said and done, I was ready to swallow the thing whole.

Why, then, would I put myself through this ordeal?

The answer to that is the only really simple thing. Pain. The nerve pain in my head was unbearable. It felt as though electric currents were ripping along my scalp, sometimes every thirty seconds. (The boiling, wailing, etc., now seem a minimal problem, yes?)

Despite the pain, or perhaps because of it, I’m reminded of God’s goodness and how much He’s given me. It’s moments like these that I’m grateful, more than ever, for my wonderful husband who truly is my knight in shining armor, and for loving children who, every time I gasped and clutched my head, went racing for paper and crayons to make me get-well cards. Most of all, I’m grateful for my Heavenly Father whose love and mercy are never ending, and who sometimes allows a little discomfort so my eyes will be opened to just how richly He’s blessed me.

Marge Wiebe

Posted by on March 18, 2015 in devotion, Marge Wiebe

Tags: , , ,

9 responses to “Simple – Right?

March 18, 2015 at 6:42 am

Nerve pain is the worse. Glad you found something to give relief, even if you had to dash and wail. 😉

March 18, 2015 at 8:52 am

So did it help, Marge? All that work I hope amounted to something. And you’re absolutely right–sometimes we need to experience pain to realize how good we actually have it.

3. Joan Deneve

March 18, 2015 at 9:10 am

This was a blessing to read today. Good reminder to count our blessings even in the midst of pain.

4. Marge Wiebe

March 18, 2015 at 9:24 am

Thanks, Pegg! Robin, it did work–after I stopped spitting it out in my sleep. 😀

5. Marge Wiebe

March 18, 2015 at 9:33 am

It’s encouraging to hear it was a blessing, Joan. Sometimes it seems like God draws me closer in those moments of pain and discomfort.

6. candicesuepatterson

March 18, 2015 at 9:36 am

I have a mouth guard as well, Marge. Same problem, grinding my teeth while I sleep. I catch myself doing this during the day sometimes as well. This can lead to some wicked headaches. I chew a lot of gum to counteract. I feel your pain, friend!

7. Marge Wiebe

March 18, 2015 at 9:58 am

Ah, then you understand, Candice. My hubby says it’s a wonder I have any teeth left. Definitely going to try chewing gum more often!

March 18, 2015 at 4:48 pm

Sorry to hear you have to wear a mouth gaurd, Marge, but grateful for the relief it’s bringing you. My hubby has to wear a mouth device at night for sleep apnea, and he, too, has to boil it, let it soak a bit, shove it in, etc. And in the morning? He has to take it out, and put another mini-guard in for 10 extra minutes–and bite down on it–so his bite will stay the way it’s supposed to. But if it helps the apnea, so be it. Thanking God with you for these solutions!

9. Marge Wiebe

March 18, 2015 at 6:40 pm

That sounds even more complicated, Jericha. You’re right, if it helps it’s worth it. So grateful God provides!