Author Chat with Jill Kemerer

16 Mar

QPQ: Say hello to Love Inspired author Jill Kemerer. Her debut novel Small-Town Bachelor releases tomorrow. Thanks for joining us, Jill!

JK: Thanks for having me. Hello, everyone!

QPQ: Tell us, Jill, have you always been a writer? Small-Town-Bachelor-Cover-small

JK: Yes! I wrote my own magazines and short books as a kid, but I never thought of actually writing a novel until I turned twenty. I decided to write a romance novel, but my characters would go on spectacular dates and have no problems. The book ended at page 22! Turns out the pesky problems were the point.

QPQ: What have you struggled with most in your journey to publication?

JK: Doubts and rejection. It took me a long time to get published. I joined a local writer’s group in 2004, and started writing and submitting full-time in 2007. I’d been rejected on five or six books by January 2011, and I was ready to quit. The journey was too hard. But my work-in-progress called to me, so I continued writing and submitting. My agent encouraged me to keep going, but I didn’t get the call I’d sold until May 2014.

I’m so glad I stayed with it. Honestly, I found writing to be incredibly hard and painful from 2011 to 2014. I couldn’t walk into a book store without crying. I just didn’t go into them anymore. But I learned I didn’t have to be in a good mood to write a good book. And my relationship with God got more personal and deeper than I ever thought possible during that time.

QPQ: What do you feel makes your writing unique?

JK: I grew up surrounded by two large, extended families in a small town in mid-Michigan, and church was a huge part of my life. These life experiences, combined with my analytic side developed during my years as an electrical engineer, make my plots, settings and characters unique.

QPQ: Tell us about Small-Town Bachelor.

JK: Small-Town Bachelor is set in fictional Lake Endwell, Michigan. The night before her sister’s wedding, Claire Sheffield is trapped with best man, Reed Hamilton, during a tornado. He breaks his leg, and she urges him to stay in the cottage next door until his leg heals enough for him to fly back to Chicago. Reed ends up helping Claire with town clean-up, and he can’t help falling for her. But they both have old wounds to heal before they can take a chance on love.

QPQ: What are you working on next?

The second book in Lake Endwell, Unexpected Family, releases this September. It follows Tom Sheffield’s rocky reunion with his ex-wife Stephanie and the daughter he didn’t know about. I’m currently revising book three, featuring Bryan Sheffield. I love this family and enjoy writing about them.

QPQ: Congratulations on Small-Town Bachelor! Thanks for chatting with us today.

JK: Thank you so much for letting me share my journey here with you!

Jill KemererJill Kemerer writes inspirational romance novels with love, humor and faith. A full-time writer and homemaker, she relies on coffee and chocolate to keep up with her kids’ busy schedules.

Besides spoiling her mini-dachshund, Jill adores magazines, M&MS, fluffy animals and long nature walks. She resides in Ohio with her husband and two children.  Jill loves connecting with readers, so please visit her website www.jillkemerer.com and find her on Facebook and Twitter.

For more on Small-Town Bachelor, click here for book description and links to purchase.

Posted by on March 16, 2015 in Author Chat

Tags: , , , ,

11 responses to “Author Chat with Jill Kemerer

March 16, 2015 at 6:56 am

Which small town in mid-Michigan did you grow up in? We lived in Shiawassee County for 14 years, between Elsie and Owosso. So many great places to live in this state. Congrats on winning the endurance race that is publishing! You’re an inspiration to me. There may be hope yet …

• JillKemerer

March 16, 2015 at 10:14 am

Hi Pegg, I grew up in Oakley, Michigan, so I’m very familiar with Owosso! in fact, most of my mom’s side still lives around Chesaning. My heart will always be in Michigan!! And, yes, there is always hope. If I can do it, anyone can!

March 16, 2015 at 3:30 pm

I know Oakley well! I used to buy my animal feed and grain at the elevator there. And – of course – Oakley’s famous old gas tractor show every year!

• JillKemerer

March 16, 2015 at 3:34 pm

My grandparents owned property right next to the old gas tractor fest! Always a good time!!

March 16, 2015 at 7:13 am

Welcome, Jill! So glad you persevered. Love your storyline for Small-Town Bachelor. I’m grabbing my copy tomorrow!

• JillKemerer

March 16, 2015 at 10:15 am

Thank you so much, Jericha!

March 16, 2015 at 9:26 am

Sounds fascinating, and I love that cover. Your journey to publication has been a tough one. I’m so glad you stuck with it.

• JillKemerer

March 16, 2015 at 10:15 am

Thank you, Robin! I love the cover too! Yes, it was a long struggle for me to get published, but it was worth every minute!

4. Marge Wiebe

March 16, 2015 at 10:57 am

Thanks so much for joining us, Jill! I’m very encouraged by your writing journey (love what you said about not having to be in a good mood to write a good book) and your story sounds wonderful. Congrats!

• JillKemerer

March 16, 2015 at 12:09 pm

Thank you so much, Marge! If I waited for a good mood to write, I would not be published! Haha! Sitting in that chair can be daunting!

5. jackielayton

March 23, 2015 at 10:01 am

Hi Jill, congratulations! I’m so happy for you! Thanks for sharing your encouraging story. So many of us need to hear your message to not give up.