Running the Race

04 Mar

shutterstock_running the raceI crouched at the starting line of the 100-meter sprint, adrenaline rushing around the twisted knot in my stomach and surging through the rest of my body. The starting gun sounded—and we were off. I was shocked to find myself in the lead. I couldn’t believe it. I didn’t expect it to last, given the pounding footsteps that were rapidly gaining. Or were they? I cast a quick glance over my shoulder to see how close the next person was, then whipped my head back around just as I crossed the finish line. My lungs burned, my legs ached, but I’d done it! I’d come in first. I was exhilarated.

My excitement was hastily dispelled when I learned that I’d been, of all things, disqualified from that very race. I’d envisioned myself coming in last, even remaining frozen at the starting line, but this? What could I possibly have done? I hadn’t tripped, elbowed, or otherwise caused harm to my fellow runners. My error was soon brought to light and any confusion was laid to rest, along with my first place ribbon. During the race, when I’d looked over my shoulder to see where the others were, I had stepped out of my lane. Such a small thing, but it was enough to pluck the victory out of my hands.

I’m running another race, and it’s called life. I’ve been given a lane and a prize to focus on, but all too often I find myself looking around at the other runners who seem much more capable and productive. Some jog with ease, hardly breaking a sweat, while others are so far ahead I can’t possibly hope to catch up.  God has a different plan—and a different pace—for each of us. When we start to compare ourselves to others, we leave room for discouragement to hinder our course and perhaps even rob us of blessings. I say run the race God has given you to run, be not moved from your lane, and take the prize when you cross the finish line.

~ Marge Wiebe

Photo courtesy of Shutterstock

Posted by on March 4, 2015 in devotion, Marge Wiebe

Tags: , , , , ,

9 responses to “Running the Race

March 4, 2015 at 6:32 am

Oh, Marge! That must’ve been so discouraging. Thank you for sharing this lesson with us. How easy it is to look back.

2. Marge Wiebe

March 4, 2015 at 8:16 am

Definitely discouraging at the time, but a great lesson later. A blessing in disguise, you might say. 🙂

3. rpatchen

March 4, 2015 at 8:46 am

Hard lesson, Marge, and I’m right there with you. I’m pretty bad about comparing myself to the other runners in life. It’s so great to have you back!

4. Marge Wiebe

March 4, 2015 at 9:00 am

Thanks, Robin! It’s great to be back!

March 4, 2015 at 9:10 am

You have no idea how much I needed this reminder today, Marge. Thank you for sharing your story.

6. Kara (@KaraHunt2015)

March 4, 2015 at 9:14 am

God teaches us things even when we don’t know He’s teaching us things. The lessons leave us heartbroken at first, but oh, the joyful rewards are so worth it in the end Thanks for sharing what God’s been sharing with you, Marge!

7. Marge Wiebe

March 4, 2015 at 12:05 pm

I’m glad it was helpful, Candice! And you’re so right, Kara. Beautifully said!

March 4, 2015 at 12:59 pm

Hey, at least you ran! I never did. Not unless something big and ugly was chasing me, anyway.
    (You all know I have an older brother, right?! *snicker*)

9. Marge Wiebe

March 4, 2015 at 1:24 pm

Pegg, I’m laughing! I never had an older brother, so I had to find inspiration elsewhere. 😀