Top 10 things that make me (disproportionately) happy

25 Feb

TopA lot of things in the world annoy me. I could write a years’ worth of blog posts about the stuff that irritates and frustrates me. But today, I’m focusing on things that make me happy. Sometimes, it seems the wisest course of action to focus on the good things. So here we go, my top ten list of things that make me (disproportionately, inordinately, embarrassingly) happy.

10. Opening my kitchen cabinet to see it filled with clean cups. (Which means my kids’ rooms aren’t filled with dirty ones.)

9. Waking up to zero dishes in the sink. (So my family ate the dinner I fixed them and didn’t wait until I went to bed to cook a frozen pizza.)

8. A brand new novel by a favorite author. (It’s like visiting a new world!)

7. A brand new writing craft book. (There’s something wrong with me, I know.)

6. The cabinets filled with food. (Because if we have food, then I don’t have to go shopping. And I hate shopping.)

5. Going out to lunch. Or dinner. Or coffee. (Sure, I’ve never met you, but I’d love to have lunch with you. Just say when.)

4. A blizzard. (Apologizes to my New Hampshire family, who have seen enough snow to last a lifetime, but I still love a good blizzard. It helps that I live in Oklahoma, and we get one or two a year—if that.)

3. Any baked good. (Any. Baked. Good. Ever.)

2. The Patriots winning the Super Bowl. (This needs no explanation. We’re still flying high at my house.)

1. Watching my children worship God. (This one outshines the rest by about a thousand watts.)

What about you? What are some random things that make you happy? I’d love to compare lists.

Posted by on February 25, 2015 in Uncategorized

7 responses to “Top 10 things that make me (disproportionately) happy

February 25, 2015 at 7:30 am

Hmmm … this is harder than I thought it’d be. I don’t think anyone will top your number one! One I’m going to miss – a lot – because we’re selling the sheep, is the sight of a newly born set of twin lambs standing and nursing beside their momma.

• Robin Patchen

February 25, 2015 at 8:16 am

Pegg, I’m sorry you’re having to sell your sheep. But God has great things for you up ahead.

February 25, 2015 at 8:06 am

I agree with all of the above–except #2. But since you’re such a great friend, I’ll forgive you for it. 🙂

The two things I’d add to this list are when the house stays spotless for at least 24 hours (which almost never happens, but it’s nice when it does!). And that moment when writing a novel, struggling to get that first (or second) draft together and, from somewhere unexpected, the Lord shows you exactly how it should all come together. Priceless!

• Robin Patchen

February 25, 2015 at 8:18 am

You’re an Indie fan, aren’t you, Candice? It’s amazing our friendship has lasted.

The house…spotless for 24 hours? The only way we can accomplish that is if we’re gone.

Oh, I agree with yours about the writing. That might be on my top 10, too. but what would I lose?

3. Patti Ingram

February 25, 2015 at 11:37 am

Clean floors. Actually, any clean, flat surface in my house gets me oddly euphoric. A cleared dining room table? Be still my heart!

I’m with you on the clean sink!
    Things that smell good.
    Hot showers.
    Flowers.
    Birds.
    😀

• rpatchen

February 25, 2015 at 6:30 pm

Anything clean, Patti–I’m with you. I’ve told my husband often that the most beautiful sound in the world is the sound of the vacuum running…in the other room. The sound of someone else cleaning–that’s pure euphoria.

Hot showers, flowers, birds…all good stuff.

March 5, 2015 at 9:40 am

How did I miss this? Love: South Carolina, dismal/blustery days. Summer, fall, & spring (in that order). Love my mom, sisters, hubby, kids, the memories of my grandparents, baking, and my cousins.