The Pink Slip

09 Feb

layoffnoticeWe never saw it coming.

My husband had been working for the State of Michigan for 14.5 years. Early into his employment there, numerous times his position teetered on the chopping block of cut-backs. Somehow – but God – he remained employed.

Last month it happened. With very little warning, he was given the notice. His job had survived the cut-backs, but he didn’t. The position of another employee with more seniority was eliminated – and she bumped my husband out of his.

Unemployed.

For the first time in 38 years, he doesn’t have a job.

Too young to draw off the 401k or dip into the Roth IRAs, and too old to look like a fresh face in an interview.

But God. This caught us flat-footed, but it didn’t surprise our Lord. “For I know the plans that I have for you,’ declares the Lord, ‘plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope.” We don’t know where we’re going. We don’t know His plans. Yet. But we are secure in the knowledge that He has them and that He will direct our paths.

Tweet this: Trusting God when the bottom drops out.

In the meantime, we throw spaghetti against the wall, applying for jobs wherever we find them, and rest assured that He will open the right doors in the fullness of His time.

~ Pegg Thomas

Posted by on February 9, 2015 in Pegg Thomas

Tags: , , , , ,

12 responses to “The Pink Slip

February 9, 2015 at 6:15 am

“But God”. Thank you, Pegg. Your response to this test challenges me. You’re both in my prayers. Can’t wait for the praise report!

February 9, 2015 at 7:38 am

I’m looking forward to the praise report as well! Trusting isn’t the hard part. Waiting is.

2. linda glaz

February 9, 2015 at 7:57 am

I hear you. So sorry but knowing He will have you in His hands as always.

February 9, 2015 at 12:33 pm

Thanks, Linda! God is good – all the time!

February 9, 2015 at 8:13 am

I love your faithfulness in the face of difficulty. What a great example you are. I’m praying for you both and believing with you that God has great things planned for you.

February 9, 2015 at 9:13 am

I don’t *feel* like much of an example right now. I feel like a little girl, holding tightly to my Daddy’s hand, and hoping He doesn’t let go. The reassurance is knowing that God doesn’t drop His children. 🙂

4. candicesuepatterson

February 9, 2015 at 8:57 am

A wonderful testimony. God’s got this, Pegg! I, too, am looking forward to your praise report. Praying for you all. Hugs.

February 9, 2015 at 9:14 am

Prayers are greatly appreciated. You gals inspire me with your faithfulness in prayer.

5. Janet Kerr

February 9, 2015 at 9:35 am

Pegg, I’m praying for you and your husband.

February 9, 2015 at 12:33 pm

Thank you! I love how His people rally when times are tough.

6. Marge Wiebe

February 9, 2015 at 11:57 am

Praying for you all, Pegg! You’re right, the waiting is always the hardest. How wonderful to know that God is in control and that He’s at work even when it seems like nothing is happening. Can’t wait to see what He has in store for you!