Read Carefully

21 Jan

chocolatepixiesMy husband – darling man that he is – decided to bake some Christmas cookies one year. One of his favorites is Chocolate Pixies; a rich and exceedingly sticky chocolate batter rolled in powdered sugar and then baked. They’re a mess to make, but worth the effort for their chocolaty goodness.

We have an Amish bulk food store just down the road. I love it for buying baking supplies at a discount price. Everything is pre-packaged in identical plastic bags or containers. You’re already starting to smile, aren’t you? I thought so.

Hubby melted the chocolate, mixed up the batter, and found a bag full of white powder that he poured into a shallow bowl. He dropped each sticky spoonful of batter into the powder. Rolled it into a ball to coat it completely, and then put them on the cookie sheets. He removed each sheet full of crinkly powdered delights and slid them onto a paper-lined card table to cool.

And then, anticipating that meltingly sweet first bite, he picked up a warm cookie from the very last sheet and – ACK!

The texture was right. The chocolate was there. But what happened to the sweet? Pawing through the cupboard to find the bag of white powder, he flipped it over and read the words. . . baking powder. Not powdered sugar.

Thankfully – as mentioned above – I buy my baking supplies in bulk. So he had plenty of ingredients to mix up a second batch. This time he read the entire label on the bag of powdered sugar before pouring it into the shallow bowl. The reward? The sweet chocolaty goodness he’d been hoping for.

Misreading what’s right before us can happen in more than just the kitchen. How often do we misread a friend’s reaction to something we’ve said? Or a child’s whining? Or a spouse’s attempt to please us? It pays to stop and carefully read the “labels” all around us.

~ Pegg Thomas

Posted by on January 21, 2015 in devotion, Humor

Tags: , , , ,

11 responses to “Read Carefully

1. candicesuepatterson

January 21, 2015 at 6:15 am

Kudos to your husband for braving the kitchen. I’m impressed. Mine would not do so. Now I’m craving chocolate! 🙂

January 21, 2015 at 8:20 am

I’m still stuck on…my husband decided to bake. Never happened in my house. Your point is taken, though. How often do we misread the intentions of those around us? How often are our own words and faces misread. I’m trying to learn to be slower to jump to conclusions, especially if I feel offended.

January 21, 2015 at 10:58 am

My mother-in-law taught all her children – 3 boys and 1 girl – to fend for themselves. My husband came well-trained in most areas. It sure prompted me to make sure my son can cook, clean, do laundry, etc. And now that’s he’s living on his own, I think he’s glad I taught him those things as well. Don’t neglect to instruct your boys.

3. Linda W. Yezak

January 21, 2015 at 9:42 am

That is hilarious. Something akin to one of us in this house dousing a dish with cayenne instead of paprika because both products are red.

January 21, 2015 at 11:48 am

Oh, I am the WORST at misreading. People, instructions, you name it. That’s why this blog and Candice’s blog blend so well and apply to me. Read carefully, and don’t speak! Thanks, ladies!

5. clarerevell

January 21, 2015 at 2:19 pm

they sound delicious. Hubby quite often takes over my kitchen – he makes the most delicious hand made bread.

January 21, 2015 at 6:29 pm

Good to know my hubby isn’t alone in his kitchen prowess. 🙂