Amish Buggy Ride

17 Nov

hills ahead
Have you ever wondered what it’s like to ride in an Amish buggy? Me too. We live in an Amish community and pass these vehicles on a daily basis. Recently, I had the opportunity to ride in an open buggy with my friend, Clara Mae. It was a typical fall day in Northern Michigan with a chilly wind and a sprinkle of rain or two, but we had a good time.

golden leavescurious palominos

awesome clouds

The sun peeked out from behind the cloud enough to take a few photos. The colors were bright in the trees. Some curious horses came up to the road to greet Magic, the handsome black Standardbred horse pulling our buggy. And the clouds were awesome between the showers. I had a blast snapping photos along the way. When I didn’t have my camera in hand, Clara Mae gave me the reins and let me drive.

On the back roads I was relaxed and thoroughly enjoying the steady pace of Magic’s clip-clopping trot. But when we swung onto the busier paved road, I admit to getting a little nervous. The distance between buggy and automobiles seems much narrower when seated on the buggy! I’ve always been careful not to crowd the buggies on our road, but I’ll be even more aware of that now.

the sun peeked out

It was a fun experience and a good way to relax and enjoy the day. What type of “slow down” activity do you enjoy to break up the hectic pace of life?

Posted by on November 17, 2014 in Pegg Thomas

Tags: , , ,

8 responses to “Amish Buggy Ride

November 17, 2014 at 6:59 am

Looks exciting, Pegg! How kind of Clara Mae to let you ride with her. Love the first person POV photos!

2. rpatchen

November 17, 2014 at 9:40 am

How fun! Not a lot of Amish in the OKC area, so that’s not an option for me. I like to take walks–for me, that’s a great way to relax.

3. Judy kinsel

November 17, 2014 at 11:23 am

How fun, I also got to do that a couple times. You did a great job on your photos… Judy

• Quid Pro Quills

November 17, 2014 at 7:14 pm

Judy, so glad you got to experience it, and delighted you enjoyed the pictures! Stop by for a visit anytime!

4. Linda Yezak

November 17, 2014 at 6:15 pm

I envy you that experience. I would’ve loved it!

• Quid Pro Quills

November 17, 2014 at 7:12 pm

Doesn’t it sound wonderful, Linda? Thanks for stopping by! Stay warm!

November 17, 2014 at 8:41 pm

I traveled home today from Sturgis, MI, where our son recently moved. He’s in another Amish community down there. It’s a much larger community – a much more populated area – than where we live. Loved seeing the buggies parked at WalMart and behind City Hall, but there’s no way I’d want to ride in them amid all that traffic!

November 19, 2014 at 9:32 am

That looks like so much fun! Thanks for sharing this, Pegg.