Who Read to You?

03 Sep

file000421021206Did someone read you stories when you were young? Was it a parent? A grandparent? Someone else? Do you have warm memories of sitting in a lap, on a couch, or bundled under the covers of your bed?

It’s a well-researched fact that reading to children promotes learning in general and instills a love of reading as a lifetime habit. Who doesn’t love a good story?!

Share who read to you and where they read, maybe even your favorite story. I’ll go first.

My Grandma Lewis was the reader in my life. My brother and I often stayed the night with our grandparents and we begged for bedtime stories. We’d snuggle under the covers and Grandma would pull a chair over beside the bed. My favorite story was The Little Red Hen. I remember Grandma had the Little Golden Book version. To this day I can still hear her voice, and it always brings a smile.

Now it’s your turn…

~ Pegg Thomas

image from morguefile.com

Posted by on September 3, 2014 in Pegg Thomas

Tags: , , , , , ,

8 responses to “Who Read to You?

September 3, 2014 at 7:27 am

My mom read to me, and the location was anywhere. The house, the park…great times. There were many great stories, but my fav as a small child was, Where the Wild Things Are. 🙂

September 4, 2014 at 7:38 am

My mom was an avid reader and I have many memories of seeing her read… but for some reason… not a single memory of her reading to me. But she set a good example anyway.

2. Robin Patchen (@robinpatchen)

September 3, 2014 at 10:07 am

My mom read to us. I don’t remember my favorite book, but my little brother’s favorite with Harry the Dirty Dog, and I used to read it to him sometimes.

September 3, 2014 at 10:24 am

I couldn’t learn to read fast enough that way I could read whenever I wanted and didn’t have to wait on Mom to finish dinner. 🙂 Once I learned to read, I recorded myself reading on old cassette tapes. Remember those? Seems ancient now. Anyway… My favorite books were The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein and anything by Dr. Suess. I loved story time with my elementary school librarian, Mrs. Fox. I have fond memories of her reading James Whitcomb Riley poems.

4. Nadine C. Keels

September 3, 2014 at 5:15 pm

It’s funny, I don’t specifically remember my parents reading to me, but I do remember them sitting down to listen to me read from the time I was about five years old, either at home with my mom or during car rides with my dad. 🙂

5. Sharon Srock

September 4, 2014 at 7:16 am

I can honestly say that I have no memories of being read to as a child. The fact that I’m an avid reader is surprising I guess. I read to my daughters as they grew up and neither of them reads for pleasure. Somehow, I don’t think it’s supposed to work that way. (SMILE)

September 4, 2014 at 7:41 am

That does fly in the face of research, for sure. I remember reading to my son when he was only a few weeks old. And I never quit. His library is now bigger than mine!