Editor Spotlight: A Moment with Nicola Martinez

29 Aug

Today the Quid Pro Quills are honored to interview Nicola Martinez, Editor-in-Chief and Publisher at Pelican Book Group (PBG).

QPQ: Thank you for joining us, Ms. Martinez.

NM: Thanks for having me. I’m happy to be here.

QPQ: Please tell us about yourself and the work you do at Pelican Book Group.

NM: I’m “the buck stops here” gal at PBG. 🙂 Ooooh! Sounds so powerful, doesn’t it? 🙂  In reality, it means that I have the privilege—and the responsibility—to make sure we put out an excellent product that will both entertain and spread the Gospel. I love it, mainly because I have the help of a talented group of faith-filled staff and authors who inspire me.

QPQ: So you’re active in many aspects of publishing at PBG. What’s the best thing about working there?

NM: Being able to set my own hours! Seriously, the best thing is being able to spend my days doing something that interests me but also doing something I know is pleasing to God.

QPQ: If you could only choose one PBG element to highlight, what would it be?

NM: Great question. I think I would set the spotlight on something people outside Pelican don’t know, and that’s how awesome our authors are as a family. To witness how each upholds the other—in prayer, during times of need; in cross promotion; in friendship. It makes for a terrific atmosphere.

QPQ: You do amazing work on book covers for authors. In fact, you’ve provided the cover art for three of the six Quid Pro Quills! How do you select the subjects and settings for your cover art?

NM: Thank you for your kind words. First, I read the cover information questionnaire that each author supplies, and I try to match that vision. I also keep in mind the genre and tone of the story and try to design something that is a marriage of all that.

QPQ: You definitely have a gift. Have you always wanted to be an editor?

NM: Thank you. Actually, being an editor never crossed my mind. I did think about starting a publishing company long before it came to fruition, but the editing aspect of that didn’t even come into play in my mind—don’t ask me why! It wasn’t until I was offered a job at a newspaper that professional editing entered. (Although, I’d done my fair share of editing by that point, just not as a profession.) After that, I landed a job at a publishing house, and the rest…well, you know what they say.

QPQ: Do you have an editor’s pet peeve? Would you share it with us?

NM:  Do I get only one? 🙂 I guess the most annoying thing is submissions that don’t follow our guidelines.  The guidelines are there for a reason, not just because we were bored one day and decided to make up some rules. On the other hand, I absolutely adore submissions that DO follow our guidelines.

QPQ: What’s the most important factor you look for in an author’s work?

NM: A great spiritual message wrapped in talented storytelling.

QPQ: Please share your vision for PBG.

NM: Truly, my vision for PBG is for God to make it whatever He so chooses, even if I don’t like whatever it is. If His will matches mine, though, PBG will always be a company that puts the Gospel first—in our actions and in our stories—and will continue to grow and to be the place authors and readers flock to, because it will be common knowledge that PBG stories are faith-filled, entertaining, and every title is a mega-best-seller!

QPQ: What’s happening at PBG? Any current news you’d like to share?

NM: Oh, always! Right now, though, we’re getting ready to launch a new imprint. Pure Amore is the first romance imprint to promote abstinence. It’s an awesome book-of-the-month club, and I can’t wait to get the books into readers’ hands.  (We also have a charity project in the works and a new series that will be open to all…but that’s all hush-hush for now!)

QPQ: How exciting! Great things are in store for readers and authors at PBG. As we conclude, is there a question you wish I’d asked?

NM: Hmm. You’ve done a pretty thorough job, already. Let me think. (Jeopardy! musical interlude) Nope. Still can’t think of anything.

QPQ: Thank you so much for being with us, Ms. Martinez. We anticipate Pelican Book Group’s continued success!

NM: Thank you! I’ve enjoyed answering your questions.

Nicola Martinez, Editor-in-Chief and Publisher at Pelican Book Group, is blessed to work with a group of talented authors and staff.

Jericha Kingston

Posted by on August 29, 2014 in Interview

Tags: , , , ,

16 responses to “Editor Spotlight: A Moment with Nicola Martinez

1. Kara (@KaraHunt2014)

August 29, 2014 at 7:11 am

Great interview, Jericha and Nicola! It’s nice getting to know more about editors and their vision for Christian fiction.

August 29, 2014 at 7:40 am

I’m curious about the Pure Amore imprint. Is that aimed at YA? I can think of many moms who would love that choice to offer their teenage daughters especially. Will it be strictly contemporary stories?

• Nicola Martinez

August 29, 2014 at 11:44 am

Hi Pegg,

Pure Amore is aimed at women of all ages. 🙂 Most appropriately, it will most appeal to older teens (15-19) and new adults, as the protagonists in each book are between the ages of 21 and 33.

I’m hoping that many mothers will encourage their daughters to read the books.

For now, the stories are contemporary because we wanted to show modern men and women making the abstinence choice even in a society where the opposite is commonplace.

August 29, 2014 at 4:12 pm

Sounds like an imprint that is both needed and timely! Looking forward to watching it bloom.

August 29, 2014 at 7:43 am

Great interview, Jericha! Thanks for joining us today, Nicola. Thank you for sharing your talent with the world and for all you do for us at PBG.

4. Laurean Brooks

August 29, 2014 at 9:10 am

Nicola has a heart for God. Not only is she a good editor and a talented book cover designer, but she’s a sincere friend. If you send her a prayer request, you know she will be praying. I am blessed to have met her. The abstinence idea has to be straight from God. I can’t believe someone didn’t think of it eons ago. But….Nicola did.

5. rpatchen

August 29, 2014 at 10:00 am

Great to see you here, Nicola. As one of PBG’s authors, I have been so impressed with you and all the folks I’ve worked with. It’s great to see your vision for the company.

6. Nicola Martinez

August 29, 2014 at 11:36 am

Thank you,ladies, for your kind words. They are a blessing and an encouragement to me. And thanks Quid Pro Quills for a lovely interview

7. LoRee Peery

August 29, 2014 at 1:31 pm

Nicola, you have my vote for bestest editor of all and a rare gift for getting cover art just right. We authors are blessed to be under your umbrella.

8. Marion Ueckermann

August 29, 2014 at 7:32 pm

Thanks Nicola and Jericha for a great interview, which has made me realize once again what an awesome privilege it is to be a Pelican Book Group author.

9. Marianne Evans

August 29, 2014 at 10:36 pm

Nicola, keep fighting the good fight. You’re a faithful servant and an inspiration. Working with you is such a blessing. Thank you for all you do!!

10. Jericha Kingston (@JerichaKingston)

August 30, 2014 at 12:37 pm

Nicola, thank you for highlighting the unity we experience at Pelican Book Group. I love being part of this family!

• Nicola Martinez

August 30, 2014 at 12:46 pm

Hey Jericha,

We’re glad you’re part of the family! I really am in awe of how the authors and staff support each other. It’s a true blessing.